Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Process: Week5 Assignment - Smash!








After seeing an animation link from Sean Macneils blog (thanks man for sharing!), I was inspired in creating a scene just like from Sigg Jones short by Asterokid. I wanted to get the idea out of my head so I did these rough sketches while working at my job & trips between going back home. The main character is like a robot at first but I wanted to give it more character & it ended up looking like a 'fish man/kid' character. Bad guy is this insect like behemoth. After that, I started modeling. It didnt turned out the way I pictured the character but ended up fun to model this new character for our 'Week5' assignment. I was going for 'VS' type of scene but since of short time, I decided to model one character. Also 'K.I.S.S.', which really helped in finishing the assignment & it turned out great. Like for the set, I used cubes for the boulders & debri flying around the character, just moved the vertices to create that rock/block look. Piled them up together & creates the illusion of smashed concrete. I got the idea modeling the hair from the 'AM' lecture videos 'Taylor' was demonstrating. Pretty much It was rough modeling, like rough sketching, which I enjoy doing. I'm not a good modeller, so I was kinda disappointed on the expression on the character, I wanna get it the way I was pictured the face. But it was a creative masturbation that I'm satisfied how it turned out. From the suggestions & comments I've recieve after handing it in, I'm totally taking it into consideration to make the scene better. Ja!


AWSOMENESS to Asterokid!!!


Sigg Jones from Asterokid on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey John,

Thanks for sharing your process. This is a good idea as I find process a lot more interesting than the finished product.

And yes go make that scene of yours even better than it is now. I'm excited to see what you come up with.

Lastly, 'K.I.S.S.' rules! It keeps things real.

'Til next class.

Cheers!
Christine